Chennai the capital city of Tamilnadu situated on the coast of Bay of Bengal in Southern India. The Earlier name of Chennai is Madras which was originated from Madaraspattinam. It is the fourth largest city in India and it is well connected to other cities of india and overseas cities as well. It is also called as cultural hub of south India which is famous for classical dance, music, architecture, sculpture etc..It is also famous and unique for food items like Idlies, Dosa’s , Chicken 65 etc. Given below are the some of most interesting facts about Chennai…
Official Language: Tamil
State: Tamil Nādu
Temperature in Summer: 42C (Max) to 28C (Min)
Temperature in Winter: 32C (Max) to 18C (Min)
Monsoon: October to December (North East Monsson)
Top Educational Institutions: IIT Madras, LIBA, Anna University, SRMC, Dr.Ambedkar Law University.
Main Attraction: Marina Beach, Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Snake Park, National Art Gallery, Kapaleeshwar Temple, Santhome cathedral, Kalashetra, Madras Music Academy etc.
Best Time to Visit: June to October.
10 Interesting Facts about Chennai
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park in Chennai is the first in india started in 1855 and one of the largest in South Asia
- The Cancer Institute established in 1920 is one of the oldest research in India
- Chennai has the second longest beach in the world
- Chennai is known as Detroit of India because of its the Automobile hub of India with companies like BMW, Ford, Hyundai, Ashok Leyland, Renault Nissan, Eicher Motors etc. Chennai is called as Detroit of the east.
- MA Chidambaram cricket stadium in Chennai was setup in 1916 and it is oldest among the country.
- In 1856 Governor Lord Harris inaugurated the railway line from Royapuram. Royapuram railway station is the oldest railway line in india and still functional.
- Chennai corporation is second oldest corporation in the world after London.
- Chennai is the second largest exporters of IT and BPO services in india.
- Started in 1844, Higinbothams is the first and oldest existing book shop in the world.
- Established in 2010, C.N.Annadurai Library is the largest library in Asia.